Ashey War Memorial

Ashey War Memorial 

Location: In Ashey Cemetery, Gatehouse Road, Ryde, Isle of Wight.

The memorial is a simple wooden cross, on a two stage stone base, with a bronze plaque. The oaktimber came from the Oglander estate.  It was originally installed in St Matthew’s Church in Asheyand dedicated on the 2nd May 1921 by the Vicar of Ryde (the Rev Hugh le Fleming) assisted by the Vicar of Brading (the Rev C W Hampden Weekes) and the Rev D E Hunter.

St Matthew’s Church became a private dwelling in the 1960’s so it is presumed that the Memorialwas relocated to the Cemetery at about that time.

The inscnption reads:”These in the glorious morning of their days for England’s sake lost all but England’s praise.”


Names as given below:
Christ receive them
1914 – 1918
Jesse J Barnes
George H Butcher
Arthur E Coombes
Charles Denham
Charles E Downer
Edwin Kennedy
John Morey
William Newham
Edgar J Salmon
Albert Saunders
William G Silvester
Harold J Whittington
© Copyright Havenstreet and Ashey Parish Council – Isle of Wight - Designed by Foundation Multimedia