Havenstreet Community Association


The Association is located in the old school building which was built in 1896 and closed as a school in 1970. The building consists of a large hall (big enough for badminton), a smaller hall and a large new kitchen with facilities to cater up to 60 people.   The outside has been well planned with attractive hard and soft landscaping including a large chess/draught board, a boules area and barbeque.

The building was purchased in the 1980s from the Local Council. The freehold is held by four separate Trustees. The Constitution of the Havenstreet Community Association was created in 1972. The Committee has an active membership and is well represented by user groups. It is committed to improving the facilities and providing the attractive venue for the benefit of the residents.

Please visit the link below for further information:

Havenstreet Community Association

HISTORY OF THE VILLAGE SCHOOL “ Now the Havenstreet Community Centre

The first school was built by Rev Frederic Kent at a cost of about £200 and was called St Peter’s School.  The building appears on the 1863 map and is mentioned in William White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Hampshire and the IOW dated 1859. Later this became a National School.

Ryde Board School took over the National School in 1895 following financial difficulties of the latter and on October 5th 1895 Ryde Board School agreed to enlarge the building.

On 7th December 1895 the existing school buildings and teacher’s residence was offered on a freehold site by Mr Flux for £395, together with a plot of land on the west side with a frontage of 43 feet for £125. This was accepted and on January 18th 1896 the Trustees of the Chapel granted use of their school whilst the new building was built. On March 14th 1896 a tender from Mr Edwin James, Binstead of £1,195 was accepted and pupils were relocated to the Wesleyan Sunday School room in April 1896 in preparation for the construction.

The new school was completed in the latter part of 1896 but the official opening took place on January 11th 1897 and school recommenced in the new premises on the 12th January 1897.

A school continued on the site until July 24th 1970 when, due to falling rolls, Havenstreet school closed and pupils were transferred to Ryde. From that date Havenstreet Community Association have used the premises to provide facilities for the use of the villagers.

© Copyright Havenstreet and Ashey Parish Council – Isle of Wight - Designed by Foundation Multimedia